Monday, June 2, 2014

The Bridge on the River Malbaie - Part 3

 
The bridge is coming along nicely. Using 1.5 mm sheet styrene, I built the concrete bridge abutments. I initially thought about using MDF, but the intricate wedge shape of the prototype would be tricky do to with precision.


Walkway and railing were done with Evergreen styrene strips previously distressed using a metal-cutting saw blade. Extremely effective and quick to give some texture, just sand of the excess and you get a very convincing wood grain (better than ME bridge ties!!!). My only regret is to have used a little bit thick strips. Maybe I should have use thinner styrene, but I was concern about strenght. Anyway, everything will be almost black and dark brown once painted, so it shouldn't be a problem.


Next step is to glue rails and guard rails, then paint and weather everything. I want to use Gordon Gravett's talc on fresh gloss enamel paint trick to make the concrete abutments look like old weathered cement and aggregate. Hope it will turn out nicely.

1 comment: